Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Tavoletta

I don't usually do product endorsements, but when it comes to art toys I can't help singing the praises of things I like. Have you seen the Mystic Art "zen board"? It's an old fashioned tavoletta (look that up in Ernst van de Wettering's Rembrandt: Painter at Work). I saw one at the North Carolina Museum of Art's bookstore and it's so beautiful. I didn't buy it (but I might yet). However, using it in the store was captivating.

This kind of thing might not appeal to everyone, but I think there's something fascinating about all the many kinds of erasable tablets -- from the Magic Doodle, to a patch of sand, the classroom chalkboard, or those little flip books with the plastic stylus that we played with as kids.

But the Mystic Art tablet is to these others what a Jaguar is to a Volkswagon.

No comments: